How to sponsor your spouse/child for Canadian Immigration

Are you looking to sponsor your spouse or dependent child for Canadian immigration? Then you need to know the following requirements;

Who is eligible to sponsor

You can only sponsor your spouse or dependent child if;

  • You are at least 18 years of age;
  • If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;
  • Proof of continuing to live in Canada is required (for those who are currently not in Canada)
  • If you are financially capable to provide for the person;
  • You must not be receiving social assistance for any reason other than disability.

Obligations as a sponsor

As a sponsor, you are obligated to sign an undertaking, promising to be financially supportive of the spouse or children. Basic needs such as food, clothing, shelter, and good healthcare are compulsory.

When signing the undertaking you need to ensure the people you sponsor will not need the government for any financial help. If they receive any social assistance, you will pay whatever help they received during the time you are legally sponsoring them. Before sponsoring anyone all previous debts must be paid

This undertaking is binding, therefore can not be changed even in the sudden change of your finances. You will be responsible for the length of time agreed upon in the undertaking. The undertaking will not change even if;

  • you run into financial problems;
  • you divorce the spouse or have a relationship breakdown;
  • the person moves to another county or province;
  • becomes a Canadian citizen.

Eligibility of partner/child

Whomever you are sponsoring needs to meet these criteria;

  • The spouse must be legally married to you and at least 18 years old.
  • Common-law partner Must be 18 years of age and lived with you for at least one year
  • Dependant children Should be below 19 years old. If above 19 years, proof of disability/mental issue is required.

How to submit a sponsorship application

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will require you to submit two applications together. One is the permanent residence application, the other being the sponsorship application.

  • Obtain the application from IRCC;
  • Pay the fees to IRCC which include processing fees, permanent residence, and biometrics fees. The fees are paid on their website;
  • Mail the application to IRCC

NOTE: The process takes 12 months. 

You may not be able to sponsor if you..

  • did not pay the immigration loan granted you
  • previously sponsored someone and did not pay the social assistance received
  • are not up to three years you took up sponsorship for another person
  • previously refused to pay an alimony/child support/performance bond ordered by a court of law
  • declared bankruptcy and is not discharged
  • were previously sponsored and it is not up to five years you were declared as a permanent citizen
  •  convicted of any sexual offense or being violent
  • are still financially responsible for the previous spouse
  • did not offer the financial support you agreed to when you signed the undertaking
  • received a removal order and cannot stay in Canada legally
  • are in jail, prison, and/or a penitentiary
  • will not live in Canada when the persons become permanent citizens;
  • are not up to 18 years;
  • are not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *