According to professional recruiters, Canada is presently going through a major shortage of jobs.
This job shortage is mostly the skilled job position, there are a large number of vacancies in certain unskilled fields, like 38,000 openings in construction, 45,900 job positions in hospitality, more than 50,000 jobs in retail, and thousands of jobs in driving like a truck driver and taxi driver jobs in Canada.
The urgent need for employees has made the Canadian government offer jobs in Canada for unskilled workers. The positive side of this that the average salary of unskilled workers is so remarkable that the minimum wage with the average salary surpasses $20,000 annually.
The Canadian government is making plans to recruit a lot of immigrants as unskilled labor jobs in Canada into their vacant positions. These jobs are the perfect opportunities for you to apply for because locals are not recruited for them.
This is an opportunity as an unskilled/semi-skilled worker to apply for the Provincial Nominee Program because the Express Entry Canada system works with the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Trades Program, and the Canadian Experience Class and all these immigration pathways require some level of qualification.
How to Secure Unskilled Jobs in Canada for Foreigners?
A Citizen or a permanent resident can simply apply for a job at any organization that is hiring unskilled workers. If you are neither a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident, your only option is to apply to immigrate to Canada as a foreign worker.
Note that, it is necessary you complete the Canadian unskilled work visa process and the immigration process. This process may take up to five years.
While you wait, ensure that you meet all requirements and score enough points to be eligible. It is also required of you to show that you have at least the minimum level of financial status by providing the statement of bank balance.
However, if a company in Canada wants to recruit foreign workers on work permits, they have to prove that they’ve executed all available options to find a Canadian to fill the unskilled job position. The company will also have to prove that there is a shortage of supply of unskilled workers in Canada who are qualified candidates and able to fill the position.
Unskilled and semi-skilled workers looking for a job in Canada can as well try the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
This program allows foreign workers to work and live in Canada on a temporary basis, usually for 2 years. During the period immigrants can also apply for a new work permit or an extension on the existing work permits. Note that this process depends solely on the employers and the job offer workers have received. The eligibility criteria for these programs include. Candidate must:
- Have written a letter of the job offer you have received from a Canadian employer
- Have an approved Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
- Convince the immigration officer that you are staying in Canada temporarily and will leave the country as soon as the end of your employment contract period.
- Provide all necessary documents that meet the requirements of the job. These documents may be your previous work experience, job-specific training (2 years maximum), and academic requirements (usually a high school diploma).
- Not have criminal records
- You must be in good health.
- Make sure all documents are in English or French.
- Prove that you do not pose a threat to the security of the country.
- Provide evidence of having a sufficient amount of funds to live in Canada.
Your job employer will be responsible for the following:
- Applying for an LMIA
- Paying for your flight fare (arrival and return costs)
- Providing assistance in finding suitable and affordable accommodations
- Providing temporary medical insurance coverage
- Getting you registered under a provincial workplace safety insurance plan