Do You Know You Can Enter Canada Without Visa?

Canada is famed for its multiculturalism, cosmopolitan and green cities, beautiful lakes, robust economy, low crime rate, and Canadians unparalleled hospitality. Canada is a North American country with the longest freshwater beach measuring 202,080 km.

In order to visit and explore this alluring country, a visa must be issued by the Canadian authority which will authorize your stay. Canadian Visa is issued when an immigrant or visitor requests to visit, study, live or work in the country. The visa offers authorization to either study, visit, live or work.

Obtaining a Canada visa can be onerous and frustrating, the entire process involves a lot of paperwork and money obviously. But hey do not despair, Canada is among few countries that are generous to immigrants. There are different types of Canadian visa, and they all have their unique requirements. But do you know you can travel to Canada without a visa? I am sure you are feeling enthusiastic about visiting the home of ‘Poutine’.

Citizens of certain countries are privileged to travel to Canada without the hassle of acquiring a visa. Just their valid passport will suffice and their entry into Canada is guaranteed.

Not long ago the Canadian government introduced ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization), nationals of visa-exempt countries who wish to enter Canada by air has to apply for ETA online before their departure to Canada. ETA is not required for nationals of visa-exempt countries who are entering Canada by road.

Who Needs An ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization)

Are you are a citizen of visa-exempt countries? Are you transitioning by air through Canada? If your answer is affirmative then you need an ETA.

United States of America Citizens and Permanent Resident

U.S. citizens only need their valid passport to enter Canada, citizens of the United States are not required to apply for ETA. However permanent resident of the United States of America must apply for an ETA before their departure to Canada through the air.

Dual Citizens

If you are a proud owner of a Canadian Passport and a citizen of another country, you are exempted from ETA. However, your Canadian passport must accompany you during your entry into Canada via air.

Canadian Permanent Residents

Canadian permanent residents need only their travelling documents when travelling to Canada.

Applying For An ETA

ETA application can be done online seamlessly in minutes and it costs only $7 CAD, approved ETA validity is five years once granted. ETA is an electronic document, you will not be issued a physical document by the Canadian government.

Click Next to see the list of Visa-exempt countries to Canada.

List Of Visa Exempt Countries

Citizens of the following countries are visa exempted when entering Canada but requires ETA when boarding a flight.

  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belgium
  • British citizen
  • British National (Overseas)
  • British overseas citizen (re-admissible to the United Kingdom)
  • British overseas territory citizen with citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of:
    • Anguilla
    • Bermuda
    • The British Virgin Islands
    • Cayman Islands
    • Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
    • Gibraltar
    • Montserrat
    • Pitcairn Island
    • Saint Helena
    • Turks and Caicos Islands
  • British Subject with a right of abode in the United Kingdom
  • Brunei Darussalam
  • Bulgaria
  • Chile
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China must have a passport issued by Hong Kong SAR.
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Israel must have a national Israeli passport
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Mexico
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania (electronic passport holders only)
  • Samoa
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Solomon Islands
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan must have an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes the personal identification number
  • United Arab Emirates
  • The United States, lawful permanent resident of
  • Vatican City State must have a passport or travel document issued by the Vatican.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *