How to Bring Your Family to Canada on a Student Visa

Separation of international students from their spouses/common-law partners has proved difficult to achieve in recent years. Immigration Canada has recognized that fact and made it possible to bring your family to Canada on a student visa. They brought about a system where the families of the international student can come stay with them in Canada during their brief stay.

This means that your spouse can join you for the duration of your study. Your spouse is then eligible to apply for an open work permit. The open work permit allows you to work in any field you wish, as long as the student visa is valid.

Dependent children will also be permitted given the stance of family unification by immigration to Canada. They have seen the importance of family around.

International students with spouses or common-law partners.

On here, your spouse/common-law partner can apply for an open work permit.  During the duration of your studies, your spouse can either work full-time or part-time for anyone in Canada without needing the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

If you are lucky enough to be offered a post-graduate job after your studies your spouse can renew their work permit.

International students with kids

International students studying full-time are eligible to bring their children. Children below age 19 are considered as minors, they can accompany the international student as long as the student visa is valid. Children above age 19 may not be granted the same privilege.

Only children who are mentally or physically unfit are granted the request. It is assumed that these sets of children cannot cope financially hence needs their parents. In addition, these kids need special attention from their parents. Dependent children are eligible to attend any public school for free while you study.

NOTE: If the parent loses their status( that is loses their student visa) the children and spouse can lose their respective privileges. In other words, the spouses lose the work permit. In addition to that, the child loses the free education.

Application Process

There are two ways of applying for the invitation;

1.The international student accepted submits the application for them at the same time as the study permit.

2. The student applies for the study permit and provides full information about the family that will accompany the student.

The Documents Required are;

  • Student enrollment proof;
  • A letter of invitation to the relative;
  • Proof of relationship to the international student hence a marriage certificate, a birth certificate is required;
  • Lastly, a copy of the valid study permit.

NOTE: The relative must prove they have sufficient funds to support their living in Canada

Can I Stay in Canada after my Studies?

Being an international student increases your chances of being eligible for permanent residency. Immigration programs will also be available for you. Your experience or that of your spouse in learning their language can also be an edge for you to remain there.

When you choose to immigrate to Canada permanently after the completion of your studies, you can do so through the federal Express entry system.

You should increase your chances of receiving an ITA when your spouse and yourself submit your profiles to the Express Entry pool.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *